Why India Pulls Out of Fighter Jet Program with Russia: Reasons Revealed

Why India Pulls Out of Fighter Jet Program with Russia: Reasons Revealed

India's once-promising partnership with Russia to develop a cutting-edge fighter jet has officially fizzled out. The Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) program, which aimed to adapt Russia's Su-57 plane for India's needs, ended in 2018. Now, newly emerging details explain why India walked away from the ambitious deal.

It seems a mix of technical disagreements and spiraling costs led to the program's downfall. India reportedly wanted a version of the jet with two seats, much like its existing Su-30MKI fighters, but Russia may not have been willing to make these changes. Additionally, concerns lingered about whether Russia would share sensitive technology and design information with India.

The price tag proved to be another major sticking point. The initial $30 billion estimate seemed to assume that both India and Russia would purchase a large number of planes. However, India's unique requirements and its desire to be involved in the development process meant their per-plane cost could skyrocket to over $120 million each. This, along with India's other defense needs likely caused serious budget worries.

Furthermore, sources suggest that Russia's demand for a firm commitment to buy over 100 planes gave India pause. This would have severely limited India's flexibility to change the order later if its defense priorities or finances shifted.

India's exit from the FGFA program highlights the complex challenges of international defense partnerships. While the potential for collaboration was significant, the financial risks and technical barriers proved too great. India now seems focused on developing its own next-generation fighter jet, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), in a bid to achieve greater control over its defense capabilities.

They got funds and drawings. They have to just make. They have fabricated the Titanium bulk heads for AMCA. I saying for 2026 prototype and 2027 for first flight, then give them atleast five years testing. Who knows they might get the prototype earlier.
There must be Optimism and Encouragement, if Marut had been improved on perhaps AMCA may be flying now , it could well have been an advanced Test bed. It lacked Political and Financial Backup to Progress. Imports are always weakened by Supply Chain Factors.

Lagta hai AMCA hi sahi hai. Pata chala AMCA Pakistan Army Buildup ko khatam karne me kamiyab ho!!!?????........ $150-200 Billion dollar dene se achha AMCA par $10-40 Billion hi kharcha ho!!?? Barabar??🤓 22-4-2024

They got funds and drawings. They have to just make. They have fabricated the Titanium bulk heads for AMCA. I saying for 2026 prototype and 2027 for first flight, then give them atleast five years testing. Who knows they might get the prototype earlier.
Possible but I guess 2028 first flight & 2034-35 Production for AMCA MK-1

Those radar sensor jammer that integrated to the aircraft is their version of stealthiness.... Beenguy is not aware that those drunkard Russian is weird on designing an aircraft that their the one's who revolutionize the angle of RCS stealth mathematical calculation... Only the west especially US take it and make advantage of it that is now being use in f35 and f22.... Maybe the Russian are cheaping it because of the needs to use RAM coating if they make su57 body stealthy...

Oh the f16... I highly doubtful of it as game changer... If the west still betting for Ukraine to win they should already start world war 3 instead for sure winning 😹😹😹🔥
That is exactly my point, Russian “stealth” means a plane loaded with jammers and sensors to avoid getting shot down. Russians strategically chose the cheaper way to build a stealth plane without focusing more on coatings and shapes. To my point Russia doesn’t mind losing planes and lives and that’s their doctrine. They only rely on numerical superiority.

I never said Ukraine will win the war, I just said f16 will most likely shoot down su30’s and mig 29s of Russia. Don’t forget it’s amraam vs Russian garbage. It’s basically balakot all over again. Russia is too scared to bring out their su57 to combat ever since the war started and have only done a few photo ops to show their are involved.

Su-57m costs ~40mil+, F-35-A is 85.
You didn’t factor in the cost for “R&D” which is basically Russia building it the way they want from our investment and Indians will sit in the back of the class and observe. Maybe lucky Indians will get to tour the facility.

f-16 is junk. Neither is modern nor has stealth. Nobody in world will buy f-16 if it comes to Ukraine. It was rejected by India for good reason.
You have too much bias because Pakistan operates f16. Yes it’s dated but it’s the most upgraded aircraft in the world. Forget the stealth part since Russia is too scared to bring su57 to the fight in Ukraine anyways. It will be f16 vs sukhoi variants and migs. Don’t forget Russia is using the same garbage bvr missiles they supply us. Theirs are slightly better with longer range. F16 will come with latest amraam missiles. It’s gonna be balakot again

How can you be sure Kaveri is better when it was not commercially available right now 🙃 another delulu syndrome bruh
Just like the build quality of Tejas is better then any Russian jets having higher up time is because all Indian products generally go through a process of thorough testing unlike the West and other half baked products. If it passed in India it 100% tested and quality.

Your the one's who's living in delululandia world bruh.... You didn't even know Russian stealth doctrine is a bit different on their own... I understand you are always salty because foreign countries always one up everytime in this industry that our government is half baked support
You speak living in another world. You think China and Russia test so much as India, India this how we know Indan products are better because they thoroughly tested. Tejas has highest uptime because it is tested completely and no short cuts. Only a person who is totally illiterate will talk rubbish like you.

Thank heavens Russia discarded the 2 seat approach for a sensor fusion based stealth jet. In the coming age, autonomous and uav stealth will function and a large 2 seater aircraft will not only have a larger RCS but also not manuverable for engagements.

Long back in 2017, 2018, Russia was desparate for funding the FGFA (SU-57) fighter jet program. But recently (2022 -2023), Russia earned around $60 billion by selling Crude Oil to India.

So Russia can now easily fund their Su 57 program
They need funding for other projects too , their main battle tank Armata is struggling due to funding issues.

Mig-35 is also struggling, they are currently making Sukhoi family jets ( Su30 , Su-35 , Su-34)

There are more reasons than just single seat vs dual seat version. MAIN reason is actually engine. Russians wanted to use a regular modified engine (later upgrade to new engine) and Indians wanted a completely new design from the start of production. New engine fiasco is still undergoing in Russia where they are really trying to finish the new design. Russian equipment is made to be cheap and mass produced and often lacks performance and quality.

Also, second reason- su57 does not really have any major stealth features or one can say competitive to western stealth features about it. It has good jammers and sensors to avoid air to air missiles in certain scenarios but it’s not like f35 which can fly undetected over enemy skies.

If they are charging as much or more than f35, then the deal is a joke.

F 16s are coming very soon to Ukraine, we will get to see some juicy combat so hold on. I have my bets on f 16 winning overall.
Well , Ukraine is going to recieve F-16s but Few months training won't do much for the Ukrainian pilots..

It will be used against offensive operations mainly dropping Bombs & securing airspace. We won't see much BVR fights there.

Russia is doing war in Ukraine to break the spirits of Ukrainian people .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akilesh
Back