Ukraine urges India to rethink ‘Soviet legacy’ of Russia ties, FT reports

Ukraine urges India to rethink ‘Soviet legacy’ of Russia ties, FT reports

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has urged India to stand by Kyiv, saying the nation’s close ties with Russia are based on a Soviet legacy that is evaporating, the Financial Times reported on Friday.

Kuleba arrived in New Delhi on Thursday to advance Kyiv’s vision of the path to peace in Ukraine and to strengthen ties with India. India has traditionally had close economic and defence ties with Moscow and refrained from criticising Russia over its February 2022 invasion of Ukraine, instead increasing purchases of Russian oil to record levels.

Kuleba said India has much to gain from expanding trade and technology ties with Ukraine and offered Indian companies a role in postwar reconstruction.

Ukraine was now looking to “restore trade” with India, he told the newspaper, resuming exports of agricultural products such as sunflower oil and buying more Indian goods itself.

“We are interested in importing some of the heavy machinery items that India is producing,” he said.

Ukraine hopes to hold a summit of world leaders without Russian participation in the coming months to advance its blueprint for peace, which calls among other things for the withdrawal of Russian troops from its territory.

Russia has dismissed the Ukrainian diplomatic initiative as a non-starter.

Ukraine must agree to work with RUSSIA....
DO NATO TRADE... BUT .....DONT ALLOW NATO ARMIES CLOSER TO RUSSIA...

To be sure even without the Ukraine war,that legacy was slowly and steadily starting to recede over time especially with a right wing government in power.
Although,ties with Russia will continue and remain solid for the most part,India will over time develop enhanced defence ties with the West.Weapons won't remain the bedrock of the relationship and natural resources depending on their feasibility will take their place instead.

To be sure even without the Ukraine war,that legacy was slowly and steadily starting to recede over time especially with a right wing government in power.
Although,ties with Russia will continue and remain solid for the most part,India will over time develop enhanced defence ties with the West.Weapons won't remain the bedrock of the relationship and natural resources depending on their feasibility will take their place instead.
it is natural for transactional relationships to reduce if self reliance is achieved, India’s relationships with west is like marriage of convenience, it won’t last long as the basic ideology is different, but old relationships built on mutual gratitude won’t die that easily.

Why do we need FT narrative of what Ukeranian FM told and discussed with Indian FM? Where are all the Indian news agencies telling us the Indian narrative of Kuleba talks?

As India should. The soviet Union is dead. Russia is a gangster regime run by a dictator who's all about the money. India should side with Ukraine and develop mutually beneficial economic and strategic ties. Russia is dead. Move on.

As India should. The soviet Union is dead. Russia is a gangster regime run by a dictator who's all about the money. India should side with Ukraine and develop mutually beneficial economic and strategic ties. Russia is dead. Move on.
lol, what has ukraine to offer us? If russia is dead, ukraine has already been decomposed. Russia supplies a lot of oil and fertiliser inputs to us along with many other stuff like raw diamonds for a gem cutting industry, to military products. Ukriane needs 500billion $ minimum for rebuilding.

Alternatively is for Ukraine to end the loosing war being fought at the behest of America. Neighbourhood peace is better than distant power telling you to fight on.

The interesting part is that some parts of the article were omitted.
Ukraine said India funding russias war machine was a red line.
But ukraine selling t 80 tanks to Pak army was a red line for india.

Exactly. I have to agree to this chap on that. Russia was never equal to USSR. USSR was almost equiavalent to US in many indices in their early heydays. But Russia is a wannabe gangster bully who eventually got beaten by wretched kid in alleyway fight.

Ukraine must agree to work with RUSSIA....
DO NATO TRADE... BUT .....DONT ALLOW NATO ARMIES CLOSER TO RUSSIA...
They never did. But Russia still attacked. Working with Russia is not an option for Ukraine.

lol, what has ukraine to offer us? If russia is dead, ukraine has already been decomposed. Russia supplies a lot of oil and fertiliser inputs to us along with many other stuff like raw diamonds for a gem cutting industry, to military products. Ukriane needs 500billion $ minimum for rebuilding.
What has Russia offered that was not technologically backwards or expensive? Russia supports China and indirectly Pakistan. Russia wants to destabilize India and it's relationship with the West. Times are changing. Make the change for the better, not backwards.

What has Russia offered that was not technologically backwards or expensive? Russia supports China and indirectly Pakistan. Russia wants to destabilize India and it's relationship with the West. Times are changing. Make the change for the better, not backwards.
Russia offered us Brahmos tech at a time nobody would help us with that. And today brahmos is our most important offensive missile. It is primary anti ship missile for our warships, and anti ground missile for army and IAF both.

Other than that, our entire IFV fleet is based on russian tech. Vast majority of our tank fleet is russian origin. Our primary jet fighter is russian origin, and these are not substandard sytems. Russians offered this to us with local production. No one in the west offered us local production rights. You want me to go on?

Ukraine stop advising India and learn to live peacefully with their fellow Slavic brothers inc. Russia

Exactly. I have to agree to this chap on that. Russia was never equal to USSR. USSR was almost equiavalent to US in many indices in their early heydays. But Russia is a wannabe gangster bully who eventually got beaten by wretched kid in alleyway fight.
Nonsense. The soviet union was never equal to the US.
Their economy was garbage. Everyone accepted dollar in those days but not the ruble.
Their computers were pathetic. They even struggled to fulfill the day to day needs of their citizens. The waiting time for cars there was 10 years.
Military wise also they were never equal. The only strategy soviet union has was to just to keep sending soldiers as cannon fodder. They were not real soldiers who could fight on their own. Take down multiple enemies by themselves.
Russia is literally continuing the same tradition. Just throw their men into the battlefield.

They never did. But Russia still attacked. Working with Russia is not an option for Ukraine.
I was following the kind of rhetoric ukraine and nato officials were having that time. Before 22nd februrary.
Honestly I would say no real self respecting person would take them without responding.
But yes I feel Russia even deciding to invade was a big mistake.
The CIA was fear mongering about Russian invasion that time. By not invading they could've discredited the CIA there itself. But they took the bait unfortunately.

I was following the kind of rhetoric ukraine and nato officials were having that time. Before 22nd februrary.
Honestly I would say no real self respecting person would take them without responding.
But yes I feel Russia even deciding to invade was a big mistake.
The CIA was fear mongering about Russian invasion that time. By not invading they could've discredited the CIA there itself. But they took the bait unfortunately.
Forget 2021. Remember 2014? Russia invaded Crimea despite specific assurances from Ukraine government that it won’t join NATO and will respect security concerns of Russia. Even in 2021, Zelensky was telling the whole world that Russia won’t invade. No self respecting nation will allow an invader to just come in and kill your people and not fight back with whatever means they have.

Forget 2021. Remember 2014? Russia invaded Crimea despite specific assurances from Ukraine government that it won’t join NATO and will respect security concerns of Russia. Even in 2021, Zelensky was telling the whole world that Russia won’t invade. No self respecting nation will allow an invader to just come in and kill your people and not fight back with whatever means they have.
I am talking about what was happening in 2022 genius. In fact I would say this started from october 2021.
Zelensky was the worst offender. An absolute motor mouth. He was spreading hate against the nordstream 2 pipeline.
He was repeatedly urging nato to Fasttrack membership.
His foreign minister dmytro kuleba was issuing verbal threats to Russia. Same with many of his other politicians.
And interestingly many western media houses themselves were criticizing ukraine for being a corrupt extremist nation before the invasion. Zelensky himself was named in the pandora papers.
The politicians of ukraine were having continous one after the other meetings with nato officials and nato nations politicians. The ground work was laid for nato expansion.

Regarding what happened in 2014, it was pretty obvious a pro white englishmen govt would've come in ukraine and that would've meant presence of nato troops either in official or unofficial capacity. Like in taiwan.
So taking over the vital port of Sevastopol was considered a logical move that time.
Very similar to how Iraq was invaded in 2003 to stop saddam hussein from exiting the Petro dollar system.

As I said I saw the entire chain events. I myself felt enraged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kunal Kaistha
Back