HAL Pushes for Homegrown Cargo Transporter to Stay Afloat in MTA Race

HAL Pushes for Homegrown Cargo Transporter to Stay Afloat in MTA Race

Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), India's state-owned aerospace giant, is pushing for the development of a fully indigenous cargo transporter.

This move comes as HAL feels the pressure of potential exclusion from the upcoming Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA) program. The development of an indigenous platform also plays into India's increasing focus on self-reliance in defense.

HAL's push for an indigenous solution comes on the heels of a private Indian company's successful execution of the C-295 transport aircraft order, marking a historical first for the country's defense sector.

Sources familiar with the MTA program confirm HAL's advocacy for a domestically developed cargo aircraft. This approach aligns with the government's goal of bolstering India's self-reliance in military technology and could offer long-term advantages in maintenance and upgrades.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) Chief's recent announcement regarding the replacement of its aging An-32 and IL-76 fleets with MTAs by 2030 and beyond presents a highly lucrative opportunity.

The potential for an order potentially exceeding 100 aircraft over the next two decades makes the MTA tender a highly desirable contract for defense contractors worldwide.

India's decision to withdraw from the collaborative MTA program with Russia, in which HAL held a key role, deprived the company of a pre-existing design for the IAF's needs.

Furthermore, several foreign aerospace companies interested in the IAF's tender have opted to partner with private Indian firms. This strategic move could potentially marginalize HAL if it doesn't put forward a compelling domestic solution.

The Indian government and the IAF are faced with a critical choice. Will they favor the potential long-term benefits of a fully indigenous aircraft spearheaded by HAL, or will the lure of established foreign platforms and partnerships with the private sector prove more appealing?

Ultimately, the coming months will prove pivotal in shaping the future of India's military transport aircraft capabilities and HAL's role within it.

One more item in HAL employees retirement plate, it would be much better if HAL is not allowed to work on this project.

One more item in HAL employees retirement plate, it would be much better if HAL is not allowed to work on this project.
What alternatives do you have besides HAL? Purchasing and assembling,
like the C295? That's not what we require. We already possess expertise
in manufacturing various aircraft. Now, let's innovate and develop our
own product. Without attempting, there won't be a future for us.

Ridiculous! What prevented them from designing an aircraft and offer it previously? The only reason they are making a pitch at this stage is to derail procurement of transporters as they can't have a pie of the project. So they now try to derail the entire procurement itself.

I have no issues in HAL developing a transporter, however if by chance they cant develop and start producing it within a decade the entire top brass of HAL needs to be incarcerated for treason and may be even hang their directors and chairman for once. Only then they will understand that taking India for a ride by over promising projects and under delivery by endlessly delayed projects will have significant consequences.

Pvt players should come with new Design with Foreign partner with 75% stake , Instead of screw driving /Assembling .

Developing our product takes time.If they are start developing it now, then the prototype, testing and production will atleast take 15-20 years.

The only reason they are pitching the idea at this late stage is to derail the IAF's transport aircraft procurement. They seem to be bitter that theybwont be having any stake in the project.

They did the same during C-295 procurement, when they suddenly offered to modify HS-748 Avro at a very late stage, even when the IAF had turned down the idea previously.

Developing our product takes time.If they are start developing it now, then the prototype, testing and production will atleast take 15-20 years.

The only reason they are pitching the idea at this late stage is to derail the IAF's transport aircraft procurement. They seem to be bitter that theybwont be having any stake in the project.

They did the same during C-295 procurement, when they suddenly offered to modify HS-748 Avro at a very late stage, even when the IAF had turned down the idea previously.
I understand your point. However, don't we need to initiate our own endeavor? If not now, then when? To address the aircraft shortfall, we can procure directly from the OEM and allocate the remaining funds towards developing our own. Let's take a balanced approach then. I mean, let's take some steps towards complete indigenization.

Pvt players should come with new Design with Foreign partner with 75% stake , Instead of screw driving /Assembling .
Bhai, every work in manufacturing requires screw-driving.
Now if you know of some technique to manufacturing by sticking with fevicol, then that is a different matter.

That said, mark my word: Till time government doesn't indicate its commitment towards breaking state monopoly by selling off stakes in DPSUs, we are better not expecting much from private sector players who are going to keeping up caution (albeit unjustified) when it comes to burning hands in military contracts.

Ridiculous! What prevented them from designing an aircraft and offer it previously? The only reason they are making a pitch at this stage is to derail procurement of transporters as they can't have a pie of the project. So they now try to derail the entire procurement itself.

I have no issues in HAL developing a transporter, however if by chance they cant develop and start producing it within a decade the entire top brass of HAL needs to be incarcerated for treason and may be even hang their directors and chairman for once. Only then they will understand that taking India for a ride by over promising projects and under delivery by endlessly delayed projects will have significant consequences.
HAL's motto:
Na banayengee, na banaane dengeey.

I understand your point. However, don't we need to initiate our own endeavor? If not now, then when? To address the aircraft shortfall, we can procure directly from the OEM and allocate the remaining funds towards developing our own. Let's take a balanced approach then. I mean, let's take some steps towards complete indigenization.
Own endeavor makes sense when ultimately it leads to a successful product.

HAL hasn't covered itself up in glory yet on that front.

C-295 might be a screwdriving project, but expect that project to complete in due time and mostly within the contracted budget.

You just pulled out my words. The frustration due to huge delays by HAL is hitting Bharathiyas very badly.

Remember that TATA only assembles the body C-295 and screw drives the sub-assemblies.
All of avionics and landing gear comes from Spain, France, etc
TATA does not manufacture them in India it only connects male connector to female connector, installs and screw drives.

I hope it will not be the same with MTA too.
Embraer has not sold many and India will buy many so Embraer must roll out a best offer.

Lockheed Martin is also offering a local production deal but its cargo capacity is at the lower end of requirements.
India needs a bigger aircraft.

What about tejas mk1, mk1a, mk2 or even AMCA? Just because it is designed in India you think it is 100% Indian parts? More than 50% of the value of parts is foreign origin. But I do agree without attempting there wont be a future for us, but that doesn't mean compromise Bharat's security by huge delays which is the halmark of DPSUs.

Remember that TATA only assembles the body C-295 and screw drives the sub-assemblies.
All of avionics and landing gear comes from Spain, France, etc
TATA does not manufacture them in India it only connects male connector to female connector, installs and screw drives.

I hope it will not be the same with MTA too.
Embraer has not sold many and India will buy many so Embraer must roll out a best offer.

Lockheed Martin is also offering a local production deal but its cargo capacity is at the lower end of requirements.
India needs a bigger aircraft.
If they were serious about MTA, They the HAL should have never pulled out of joint collaboration with Russia. Bcoz they only way we are going to javelin it on time is by having either codeveloped or license produced aircraft domestically.

Own endeavor makes sense when ultimately it leads to a successful product.

HAL hasn't covered itself up in glory yet on that front.

C-295 might be a screwdriving project, but expect that project to complete in due time and mostly within the contracted budget.
Not only that the private sector will upgrade on it also when they are more confident while HAL is still screw driving after 75 years of it's shameful existence. If GOI approves this project of HAL do not expect it it be deployed in 2 decades.

That's the problem. I have absolutely no issues with HAL initiating the project. But what I have issue is HAL pushing that project for.IAF present and near future requirement as it is absolutely unlikely to enter service atleast for next 2 decades.

If they were serious about MTA, They the HAL should have never pulled out of joint collaboration with Russia. Bcoz they only way we are going to javelin it on time is by having either codeveloped or license produced aircraft domestically.
India and Russia had serious disagreements on work share and technology share.
In the end, they gave up.
So also Ka-226T after almost 9+ years, and Ak-203 is also gone for good I guess.

Not only that the private sector will upgrade on it also when they are more confident while HAL is still screw driving after 75 years of it's shameful existence. If GOI approves this project of HAL do not expect it it be deployed in 2 decades.
2 decades is being too optimistic.

Well, they are within there rights to ask for this. After all every organistaion looks after its interests. I believe defence ministry will look at all proposals carefully and make decision together with IAF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kunal Kaistha
Back