India Pitches Tejas and Dhruv to the Philippines in Defence Talks

India Pitches Tejas and Dhruv to the Philippines in Defence Talks

India and the Philippines are charting a course for significantly stronger defence cooperation following pivotal talks between Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro and Indian Minister of External Affairs Subrahmanyam Jaishankar.

Strengthening Ties at Multiple Levels​

A significant outcome of the high-level meeting was the creation of a multi-level dialogue mechanism between the countries' defence establishments. This will provide a consistent framework for communication on defence matters like strategic cooperation, joint exercises, and military procurement.

Additionally, both nations pledged to ramp up education and training exchanges to bolster the professional skills of their armed forces. These exchanges are vital for building mutual understanding and compatibility between Indian and Philippine military units.

India Offers Advanced Military Platforms​

India has showcased its commitment to enhancing the Philippines' defence capabilities by offering advanced military platforms. Top among these are ALH-Dhruv helicopters and the LCA-Tejas Mk1A fighter aircraft, potentially tailored for naval operations.

Negotiations for the sale of ALH-Dhruv helicopters are reportedly at an advanced stage, with a deal potentially nearing completion.

The potential acquisition of the LCA-Tejas Mk1A has attracted substantial attention from the Philippines. This highlights the Philippines' increasing strategic value and the recognition of its defence modernization needs by major arms suppliers.

Context and Implications​

These developments mark a significant deepening of ties between India and the Philippines in the realm of defence.

This cooperation comes at a time of evolving geopolitical dynamics in the Indo-Pacific region, offering both countries an opportunity to secure their strategic interests and contribute to regional stability.

We may be able to sell a few Dhruvs, and maybe a few Prachands and/or LUHs. The Tejas is essentially out of the contention unless something truly spectacular changes.

We may be able to sell a few Dhruvs, and maybe a few Prachands and/or LUHs. The Tejas is essentially out of the contention unless something truly spectacular changes.
Agreed,with HAL even struggling to meet domestic requirements,they can't possibly export and maintain them on schedule anyway.
ALH and it's derivatives can perhaps find themselves a home on the Philippines due to better production capacity and proven lower operational costs as compared to Western alternatives.

A much better proposition would be to offer joint development of Tejas MK-2/3.

ADA/HAL can do design and development while the Filipinos do the assembly line manufacturing.

Kyunki assembly line mei mehnat karney mei toh HAL waalon ki maiyya mar jaati hei. Union ka support jo hai.

ADA/HAL can do design and development while the Filipinos do the assembly line manufacturing.

Kyunki assembly line mei mehnat karney mei toh HAL waalon ki maiyya mar jaati hei. Union ka support jo hai.
After messing the Koreans around over money.
Earliers this year the Indonesians re affirmed it's committment to KAI KF-21.
If that is the case - why would they want Tejas MK2/3 ?

Let's be realistic. The chances of Philippines buying Tejas are virtually ZERO.
More chance with Dhruv - perhaps.

I posted without reading yours first.
Exactly my sentiment.

He is talking about offering the Philippines a chance to join the Tejas Mk 2 program. The KF-21 program has Indonesia as a partner.

Let's be realistic. The chances of Philippines buying Tejas are virtually ZERO.
More chance with Dhruv - perhaps.
I agree, right now chances are 0, but in next 2-3 years, after mk1a is being produced steadily, and has been integrated with anti ship weapons, it would be very attractive for philipines. Tejas mk1a can hold its ground against any chinese 4rth gen fighter. Its only drawbacks are its range and payload capacity, and they are not a problem if a country is primarily going to use them for air defence and sea defence from standoff range. For a country like philipines which has a huge coast while not enough money, numbers are very important. Especially because China has lots of numbers. Thats where low cost of tejas will seal the deal.

I think what we should do is try to push for ALH deal right now. Once they buy ALH, and they are satisfied, it will further increase chances of tejas in few years time.

I agree, right now chances are 0, but in next 2-3 years, after mk1a is being produced steadily, and has been integrated with anti ship weapons, it would be very attractive for philipines. Tejas mk1a can hold its ground against any chinese 4rth gen fighter. Its only drawbacks are its range and payload capacity, and they are not a problem if a country is primarily going to use them for air defence and sea defence from standoff range. For a country like philipines which has a huge coast while not enough money, numbers are very important. Especially because China has lots of numbers. Thats where low cost of tejas will seal the deal.

I think what we should do is try to push for ALH deal right now. Once they buy ALH, and they are satisfied, it will further increase chances of tejas in few years time.
They have various defence treaties with USA and will stick to American or South Korean. IMVHO I think they will purchase 2nd hand F-16's

Yes, they should at-least try to pitch MK2 if they are serious about winning or they should at-least make a special variant of Tejas Mk1A for them with MK1B features added to it, but with HAL still struggling to meet IAF's demand, they will most probably go with F16 Block 70/72 or some used European F16's if they don't have budget , they won't go with Gripen because of Thailand having them.

Tejas MK3?, they have to wait for 20-25 years without a jet, it is just too dangerous for them.

They have various defence treaties with USA and will stick to American or South Korean. IMVHO I think they will purchase 2nd hand F-16's
Yeah, they could. They will best know what their requirements are. I feel that if they were going for used F16, they would have already gone for them. Since they have not, and are talking to us, i feel that they dont want to go the route you are suggesting.

Yeah, they could. They will best know what their requirements are. I feel that if they were going for used F16, they would have already gone for them. Since they have not, and are talking to us, i feel that they dont want to go the route you are suggesting.
According to Defence.in / HAL etc the whole world is talking to us.

My bad, I meant the Filipinos, not the Indonesians. Bhaang peen tom baada comment type karya si.

NGL. Indonesia has more manutred manufacturing base though.

Yes, they should at-least try to pitch MK2 if they are serious about winning or they should at-least make a special variant of Tejas Mk1A for them with MK1B features added to it, but with HAL still struggling to meet IAF's demand, they will most probably go with F16 Block 70/72 or some used European F16's if they don't have budget , they won't go with Gripen because of Thailand having them.
Maybe, but they have been very vocal about not acquiring too many second-hand assets recently.

The Italians offered them two Maestrale-class frigates when they were looking for frigates, but they went with two more expensive and less capable new frigates instead.

Pretty much the only second-hand assets they have committed to procuring in the near future are one (and possibly up to three) more decommissioned South Korean Pohang-class corvettes.

According to Defence.in / HAL etc the whole world is talking to us.
I feel what is lacking and the reason why we dont win contracts is that we dont use middlemen(arms dealers) or bribe the defence officials of foreign countries. African countries, malaysia, south america, south asia, middle east have a terrible record when it comes to corruption. We used to have a terrible record as well.

We did convert philippines when it comes to brahmos, so I believe that there is a great chanvmce to sell them other stuff.

Maybe, but they have been very vocal about not acquiring too many second-hand assets recently.

The Italians offered them two Maestrale-class frigates when they were looking for frigates, but they went with two more expensive and less capable new frigates instead.

Pretty much the only second-hand assets they have committed to procuring in the near future are one (and possibly up to three) more decommissioned South Korean Pohang-class corvettes.
may be, but US will pressure them to go for F16's.

I feel what is lacking and the reason why we dont win contracts is that we dont use middlemen(arms dealers) or bribe the defence officials of foreign countries. African countries, malaysia, south america, south asia, middle east have a terrible record when it comes to corruption. We used to have a terrible record as well.

We did convert philippines when it comes to brahmos, so I believe that there is a great chanvmce to sell them other stuff.
Let's give free HMT or Titan watches along with Tejas or may be make a Tejas watch to lure those generals.

I understand what you are saying. It's how BAe got the gigantic Al Yamamah contract. Tho BAe were paid in oil not £$.
Due to more transparancy the days of big time bribes is over.
We did bribe the Philippinos - they were quite happy with samasos and chai :-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Love Cat
Back