German Govt Eyes Stake in Submarine Manufacturer TKMS as India Evaluates Project-75I Bids

German Govt Eyes Stake in Submarine Manufacturer TKMS as India Evaluates Project-75I Bids

The German government is poised to acquire a stake in Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems (TKMS), a major submarine manufacturer. This move aligns with the Indian Navy's ongoing evaluation of bids for its ambitious Project-75I submarine procurement program, estimated to cost upwards of ₹43,000 crore.

Bids Under Review​

Two bids are currently under consideration for Project-75I. One proposal comes from TKMS, while the other is from Navantia of Spain. An Indian Navy technical team recently completed Field Evaluation Trials (FET) for the TKMS offering in March, confirming it meets project specifications. Evaluation of the Spanish bid is expected before June.

Interestingly, TKMS was initially hesitant to participate in the complex Project-75I bidding process. However, the German government's desire for enhanced defense cooperation, particularly since the Ukraine war shifted Europe's security landscape, appears to have played a role in the company's participation.

Potential Government-to-Government Cooperation​

The German government's potential stake in TKMS underscores its commitment to the project and could pave the way for a government-to-government deal with India. This type of agreement is often crucial for large-scale, technologically sophisticated defense contracts.

Advanced Design Elements​

The submarine design proposed by TKMS combines features from its successful Class 214 and Class 212CD models. Notably, the design incorporates angular elements to decrease the vessel's radar signature, aiding in stealth operations. Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), TKMS's Indian partner, has already begun initial work on the submarine design.

Emphasis on Indigenous Manufacturing​

The project guidelines mandate a minimum of 45% indigenous content in the first submarine, scaling up to 60% by the sixth and final vessel. Importantly, the final submarine design will be jointly developed by TKMS and MDL. This collaborative approach will enable India, which will own the design rights, to integrate its own indigenous equipment as needed in the future.

Navigating Complexities​

The Project-75I deal has progressed under India's Strategic Partnership model of defense acquisition. Germany and Spain were the only nations to submit bids, despite multiple extensions to the bidding deadline. Notably, Germany recently granted India a small arms license, easing restrictions that are usually in place for exports to third countries. This highlights the growing defense ties between the two nations.

Key Technologies and Partnerships​

Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) technology is a critical deciding factor for the Project-75I contract. AIP significantly extends the underwater endurance of conventional submarines, reducing their vulnerability. TKMS offers an AIP system combining fuel cell and Lithium-Ion battery technology, offering a blend of long-range capability at low speeds and high-endurance performance at faster speeds.

Navantia's bid is based on their S80 class submarine, one of which recently entered service with the Spanish Navy. The Spanish government has a stake in Navantia. Indian shipyard Larsen & Toubro (L&T) is slated to construct the submarines selected for Project-75I.

Legacy of Indo-German Submarine Collaboration​

India and Germany have a history of cooperation in submarine manufacturing. In the 1980s, MDL manufactured two German HDW Type 209 submarines, some of which still serve in the Indian Navy. More recently, high-level meetings between Indian and German defense ministers reflect the priority both nations place on a potential submarine deal.

The Indian Navy's Project-75I will be a major step in modernizing its submarine fleet. The outcome of this multi-billion rupee procurement holds significant implications for India's naval posture and the shape of future Indo-German defense collaborations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandra biswas
Back