BDL Chairman Affirms Astra Mk-I's Global Superiority, Ongoing Deliveries to Indian Air Force

BDL Chairman Affirms Astra Mk-I's Global Superiority, Ongoing Deliveries to Indian Air Force

Commodore A. Madhavarao (Retd.), Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), has unequivocally declared the indigenous Astra Mk-I air-to-air missile as the world leader within its class of Beyond-Visual-Range (BVR) technologies.

This statement, made during an interview with Bharat Shakti Editor-in-Chief Nitin A. Gokhale, underscores the exceptional capabilities of India's domestically developed missile program.

Deliveries Underway, Signaling IAF Confidence​

Commodore Madhavarao's assertion of the Astra Mk-I's superiority is bolstered by the confirmation that deliveries of the missile to the Indian Air Force (IAF) are well underway.

The IAF's substantial investment in the Astra Mk-I, including an initial order of 250 missiles and a follow-up order valued at Rs 2,971 crore, demonstrates unwavering confidence in the missile's strategic value.

Technological Excellence and Strategic Importance​

The Astra Mk-I boasts impressive performance characteristics, including an extended operational range and the ability to exceed Mach 4.5 in flight.

Successful user trials aboard Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jets have demonstrated the missile's combat readiness. Its integration into the IAF's arsenal significantly enhances India's air defense capabilities, providing a tactical advantage in aerial engagements.

The Future of the Astra Program​

The Astra Mk-I's success and the IAF's commitment herald a promising future for India's air-to-air missile development.

Ongoing work on future iterations like the Astra Mk-II and Mk-III suggests continued investment in maintaining India's technological edge in air combat dominance.

Great news indeed but it is all old news anyways.
This year Astra Mk II with 160+ kms intercept range will complete all trials and will go into productions.
In few years, Astra Mk III with Soldi Fuel Ducted Ramjet Engine technology will be ready after flight trials. It already successfully completed engine firing tests, drop tests, etc

With all these three BVRAAMs available, TEjas IA, Tejas Mk 2 and SU-30MKIs, and Mig-29UPGs will become formidable fighter force.
IAF can do without MRFA if these three missiles and Uttam AESA radar variants fructifies and Tejas Mk2 starts coming out in numbers.

Way to go!!!
production still very slow 250 missile are peanuts , We should try to make 1000 missile a year then only during war times we can double the production in no time. No doubt Astra is a good BVRM but we must side by side try to lease out some fighter Aircraft to friendly countries where it can prove its mettle like Armenia & Afghanistan which desperately needed SU 30 Mk 1 we must try to lease out upgraded SU 30 MK1 with Uttam AESA Radar with Astra BVR missile and A Few Miraj 2000 with ASTRA MK1 and MK2 also to them incase it is lost don't worry they will pay the price for it also this way we can prove our weapons also. India too must talk with the the friendly countries for made in India upgraded SU 30 MK1 with 4.5 generation package. current scenario war can be fought between Azarbizan and Armenia and what i feel india must give special training to Armenian Airforce on SU30 MK1 and lease out a few to them.

Better for India is to make a base in Armenia and give them training at their home itself.
Military base for India in Armenia means better reach for Greece and Armenia.
India must give training to Greece Airforce also in Armenia our naval base in Greece and Air Force and Army Base in Armenia can better handle both the countries. India must deploy Brahmos at it base not brahmos but other SSM missile also all old prithvi and Agni version can play big role over there and will be helpful for Armenia also.

It has the range it has. No use in saying it should have a greater range. That'll be taken care of by the Astra Mk 2.
Astra Mk I tail chase is 110+ kms; Head on chase is less.
Astra Mk II tail chase is 160+kms; head on chase is about 130 kms.

Good enough for India to defend against two enemy fighter attacks.

And Astra Mk III would be a BEAST when it shows on our fighters and it is more like a Meteor.

Forget it. He will post what he wants and disappear. He listens to no one.
FYI -

And Astra Mk III would be a BEAST when it shows up on our fighters and it is more like a Meteor.

FYI -

And Astra Mk III would be a BEAST when it shows up on our fighters and it is more like a Meteor.
Ofcourse yes. ASTRA variants especially MK2 and 3 will prove a game changer for IAF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hans mercer
Back